Wednesday, October 28, 2009

You know, I'm just Sarah Palin

Today I had my second day at Mar Bella. This time I was working with a fifth grade class, who were giving presentations about the different animal groups. I watched to try and get a sense of where they were skill-wise. It was funny - seemingly hard words like "oviparous" they had no trouble pronouncing because the Catalan cognate sounds so similar. On the other hand, the ea sound in "breathe" or "dead" is nearly impossible for them.

After class I was talking to Ángels and the vice principal. In Catalan, the vice principal asked me what I was studying. I answered (in Spanish), political science. "Emmy for President!" she said, adding (in Catalan), "You would be better than that dumb woman from Alaska."

I'm glad some concepts translate.

1 comment: